Mallika: A Discoursive Study of the Hindi Heroine


Figures from Roland Barthes' A Lover's Discourse as uttered by Mallika, heroine of the Hindi play Ashadh ka Ek Din (Mohan Rakesh,1958).



"I am engulfed,
I succumb. .. "
s'abimer /  to be engulfed
Outburst of annihilation which affects 
the amorous subject in despair or fulfillment.

I am dissolved, not dismembered; I fall, I flow, I melt. Such thoughts grazed, touched, tested (the way you test the water with  your foot)--can recur.  Nothing solemn about them.This is exactly what gentleness is.

“मैं चाहती थी उसे अपने में भर लूँ और आँखें मूँद लूँ।...मेरा तो शरीर भी निचुड़ रहा है माँ !”

The Absent One
absence  / absence
Any episode of language which stages the absence of the loved 
object- whatever its cause and its duration -
and which tends to transform this absence into an ordeal of abandonment.

Now, absence can exist only as a consequence of the other: it is the other who leaves, it is I who remain.The other is in a condition of perpetual departure, of journeying; the other is, by vocation, migrant, fugitive; I- I who love, by converse vocation, am sedentary, motionless, at hand, in expectation, nailed to the spot, in suspense-like a package in some forgotten corner of a railway station.

“यहाँ की वायु, यहाँ के मेघ और यहाँ के हरिण, इन सबको तुम साथ ले जाओगे... और मैं भी तुमसे दूर नहीं होऊँगी। जब भी तुम्हारे निकट होना चाहूँगी, पर्वत-शिखर पर चली जाऊँगी और उड़ कर आते मेघों में घिर जाया करूँगी।“

“...सोचती थी तुम्हें 'मेघदूत' की पंक्तियाँ गा-गा कर सुनाऊँगी। पर्वत-शिखर से घंटा-ध्वनियाँ गूँज उठेंगी और मैं अपनी यह भेंट तुम्हारे हाथों में रख दूँगी...     कहूँगी कि देखो, ये तुम्हारी नई रचना के लिए हैं। ये कोरे पृष्ठ मैंने अपने हाथों से बना कर सिए हैं। इन पर तुम जब जो भी लिखोगे, उसमें मुझे अनुभव होगा कि मैं भी कहीं हूँ, मेरा भी कुछ है।“

The Intractable
affirmation / affirmation
Against and in spite of everything, the subject
affirms love a value.

Though I listen to all the arguments which the most divergent systems employ to demystify, to limit, to erase, to depreciate love, I persist: "I know, I know, but all the same. . .” I prefer the devaluations of love to a kind of obscurantist ethic, to a let's-pretend realism, against which I erect the realism of value: I counter whatever "doesn't work" in love with the affirmation of what is worthwhile.


“मैं जानती हूँ माँ, अपवाद होता है। तुम्हारे दु: की बात भी जानती हूँ। फिर भी मुझे अपराध का अनुभव नहीं होता। मैंने भावना में एक भाव का वरण किया है। मेरे लिए वह संबंध और सब संबंधों से बड़ा है। मैं वास्तव में अपनी भावना से प्रेम करती हूँ जो पवित्र है, कोमल है, अनश्वर है...।“
“जीवन की स्थूल आवश्यकताएँ ही तो सब कुछ नहीं हैं, माँ ! उनके अतिरिक्त भी तो बहुत कुछ है।“

Agony
angoisse / anxiety
The amorous subject according to one contingency or another
feels swept away by the fear of a danger, an injury, an abandonment, 
revulsion - a sentiment he expresses under the name of anxiety.

…for the lover's anxiety: it is the fear of a mourning which has already occurred, at the very origin of love, from the moment when I was first "ravished." Someone would have to be able to tell me: "Don't be anxious any more-you've already lost him/ her."

परंतु मेरे अभाव की पीड़ा का अनुमान लगा सकते हो ?..नहीं, तुम अनुमान नहीं लगा सकते। तुमने लिखा था कि एक दोष गुणों के समूह में उसी तरह छिप जाता है, जैसे चाँद की किरणों में कलंक; परंतु दारिद्र्य नहीं छिपता। सौ-सौ गुणों में भी नहीं छिपता। नहीं, छिपता ही नहीं, सौ-सौ गुणों को छा लेता है - एक-एक कर के नष्ट कर देता है।“


To Love Love
annulation / annulment
Explosion of language during which the subject manages to annul 
the loved object under the volume of love itself: by a specifically 
amorous perversion, it is love the subject loves, not the object.

I rejoice at the thought of such a great cause, which leaves far behind it the person whom I have made into its pretext (at least this is what I tell myself, happy to raise myself by lowering the other): I sacrifice the image to the Image- repertoire.

“मैं वास्तव में अपनी भावना से प्रेम करती हूँ जो पवित्र है, कोमल है, अनश्वर है...।“

Atopos
atopos / atopos
The loved being is recognized by the amorous 
subject as "atopos" (a qualification given to Socrates by his interlocutors),
i.e., unclassifiable, of a ceaselessly unforeseen originality.

Confronted with the other's brilliant originality, I never feel myself to be atopos, but rather classified
(like an all-too-familiar dossier).

“उनके प्रसंग में मेरी बात कहीं नहीं आती। मैं अनेकानेक साधारण व्यक्तियों में से हूँ। वे असाधारण हैं। उन्हें जीवन में असाधारण का ही साथ चाहिए था।“


Waiting

attente / waiting
Tumult of anxiety provoked by waiting for the loved being, 
subject to trivial delays (rendezvous, letters, telephone calls, returns)

The being I am waiting for is not real. Like the mother's breast for the infant, "I create and re-create it over and over, starting from my capacity to love, starting from my need for it": the other comes here where I am waiting, here where I have already created him/ her. And if the other does not come, I hallucinate the other: waiting delirium.

...सोचती थी तुम्हें 'मेघदूत' की पंक्तियाँ गा-गा कर सुनाऊँगी। पर्वत-शिखर से घंटा-ध्वनियाँ गूँज उठेंगी और मैं अपनी यह भेंट तुम्हारे हाथों में रख दूँगी...कहूँगी कि देखो, ये तुम्हारी नई रचना के लिए हैं। ये कोरे पृष्ठ मैंने अपने हाथों से बना कर सिए हैं। इन पर तुम जब जो भी लिखोगे, उसमें मुझे अनुभव होगा कि मैं भी कहीं हूँ, मेरा भी कुछ है…परंतु आज तुम आए हो, तो सारा वातावरण ही और है। और...और नहीं सोच पा रही कि तुम भी वही हो या...?”



Comments

Popular Posts