What do I name you?



"Fate had her imagination about her,
 Your head so much concerned with outer,
 Mine with inner, weather."
                   -'Tree at my Window'
Robert Frost.

We like to name things that are inanimate because that makes seemingly lifeless objects, human. But naming something is as much of a herculean task as is dehumanizing what is already human.
I'd like to think that I'm good friends with the tree outside my hostel window. (It might be one of my many one-sided obsessions though, I suspect.)
I go crazy over the shadow it's leaves trace on my walls and on the floor. These shadows dance to all the music that flows in and out of my room too, what a sport!

They dance!

I've also taught myself how to sleep in a way, with my head facing towards the window, such that every morning, the first thing that my eyes see is The Tree. Or maybe, more like a blur of leaves and barks and sunlight, honestly. My eyes are weak.
It must be absolutely clear by now, how much The Tree means to me, and so it is only natural for me to have decided to name it.
But alas, I'm human, my creativity is sparse. I cannot think of a name for you, my dear Tree. Nothing that describes what you mean to me, or how beautiful and majestic you are. My brain is as much of a clean slate as a leaf on your branch from after it has rained.
I think this must be because I love you too much.
Brutalisme/Berger



Comments

  1. What an intimate relationship you share with Tree! It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts